Growing up in the Philippines I find that we are blessed to have many kinds of herbs that can help make our body healthy. Here are some of the herbal medicine in the Philippines.
1. Lagundi - A small tree whose leaves are an effective defense and cure for asthma and cough. Antipyretic; used to control fever; boil the leaves and take in as tea.
2. Yerba Buena - When taken as a tea, it is a natural anagestic.
3. Sambong - A shrub whose leaves can lower blood sugar, dissolve kidney stones and treat hypertension. Also a diuretic. Take in as tea.
4. Tsaang Gubat - In tea form, it is good for food poisoning and diarrhea.
5. Niyug-niyogan - Good for de-worming.
6. Akapulko - A shrub whose leaves, when boiled, can be used as body wash and scrub to cure fungal infections, scabs, psoriasis and other skin disorders.
7. Pansit-pasitan (Ulasimang Bato) - A wild sprig that can be used in salads. Prevents gout, rheumatism, and uric acid build-up.
8. Ampalaya - lowers blood sugar levels; boosts the immune systems; both fruits and leaves are potent; take with a little salt to remove the bitterness. Throw in tomatoes, onions, crushed garlic, and apple cider/ lemon juice with a few drops of olive oil.
9. Banaba - blood cleanser
10. Tanglad - diuretic
11. Guava - Use the leaves to make tea. Fights gingivitis and bad breath. Can be used as mouthwash to control gum inflammation.
12. Garlic - Natural antibiotic which boosts the immune system and controls hypertension. Take the bulb fresh or cook with your favorite food. Available in capsule form.
13. Noni - A fruit endemic to the Philippines and Polynesia whose juice has been known to treat various ailments from hypertension to diabetes.